This gallery contains 3 photos.
The fall 2013 semester is right around the corner, and the UWEC saxophone studio has some exciting events coming up. Here are a couple of must-see recitals presented by the saxophone studio:
- The Music of Jean-Baptiste Singelee - Tuesday, October 15, Phillips Recital Hall
- Peter Sommer Guest Artist Residency – November 6th & 7th
- Saxophone Studio Recital – Wednesday, November 13, Phillips Recital Hall
Monday evening featured the UWEC Saxophone Quartets in Phillips recital hall. Performances consisted of works by Pierne, Florio, Piazzolla, Iturralde, and Bozza. Great job to all who participated!
- Notation through saturated listening to the specific solo, the student internalizes (by singing at first) the notes and undertakes the painstaking, necessary craft of notating the rhythms and pitches of the solo.
- Playing – with repeated instrumental practice, the solo is exactly imitated in every way, including dynamics, articulation, nuance, time feel, tone coloring and of course, the rhythms and pitches.
- Analysis – using the classic methods of theme and variation study, motivic analysis and form structure concepts, etc., the student deduces to the best of his ability the thought processes represented in the work. By isolating passages and phrases, learning them in different keys and tempos, creating variations and using them in other comparable harmonic situations, the student begins to transform the transcription process from imitation to creation.